In 1926 the Pentowna was pre-fabricated in Prince Rupert, on the west coast of British Columbia and transported by rail over 1000 miles for final re-assembly in Kelowna. Built by Canadian National Railways, she was designed to compete for the passenger and freight service on the 104 kilometer route between Penticton and Okanagan Landing near Vernon. The Pentowna could carry up to 200 passengers and cargo, travelling the length of Okanagan Lake twice a day, stopping at communities, farms and points of interest along the way.The Pentowna was the first twin screw diesel engined vessel as well as the last to offer scheduled passenger service. In 1937, her passenger lounge was removed to better service the commercial rail barge traffic and she operated in this manner until the 1960’s. Then in 1973, she was sold privately to serve as a floating breakwater for the Peachland Marina.